Negative savings interest tips

Negative savings interest tips

Nowadays, more and more banks have a negative savings interest rate, already from € 100,000 on the savings account. So you no longer receive interest on your money in the savings account, but you have to pay a certain percentage on your savings for storing your money at the bank. There are several ways to avoid negative interest in savings:

1.  Opening additional accounts: with some banks you can have multiple accounts at 1 bank and the accounts are not added together. At other banks, the amounts on different accounts at 1 bank are added together. Spreading your savings over several accounts can be difficult because the banks no longer open a new account for you so easily;

2.  Investing: you can also invest your money; spreading it over many different investments is then advisable, as is engaging a good financial advisor. Depending on your desired risk level, your advisor can select and arrange the right investments for you;

3.  Provide an interest-free loan to your child: you deposit your money up to a maximum of € 100,000 in your child’s savings account. To conclude a written loan agreement in which you indicate that the loan is intended to prevent negative interest at the bank and that you can always reclaim the money immediately. Extra option: If you pay your child the amount of negative interest saved as a contribution, this is tax-free for your child. Record this ‘interest amount’ in the loan agreement;

4.  Loan to your own BV: do you still have room in the bank account(s) of your BV? Then lend your private assets to your BV. The condition is that you pay the BV more interest than the bank charges the BV. Your BV then makes a ‘profit’ and it is a matter of business conduct. You can deduct the interest paid by you to the BV in box 1 on the basis of the posting arrangement. In this case, too, you must record this in a loan agreement;

5.  Loan from your BV to you: Do you still have room in your private account, while your BV has to pay interest to the bank? Then borrow money from your BV. The BV must then pay interest to you instead of to the bank. This interest is deductible for your BV. You will then have a ‘debt’ with your BV, but you will receive tax-free interest, which is also deductible for your BV. Your bank balance in box 3 will increase, but so will your debt, so on balance (almost), nothing will be taxed;

6.  Establishing an OFGR or BV: if it concerns a significant amount of capital, setting up an OFGR or BV is also an option to avoid negative interest on savings and high box-3 levies. This is because this is based on the actual return instead of the box-3 tax, whereby an often unfavorable fictitious return is calculated. It might be though that there will be some changes, making an OFGR less favorable;

7.  If you already intend to make a gift to your child(ren), the negative savings interest may be a boost. You could then possibly make use of the tax-free gift up to 100.000 euros for parents to their children to assist them in buying their first home.

8. Storing your money in a foreign account with better interest conditions can also be beneficial. Provided that you do report this money to the tax authorities. Otherwise, there is tax evasion. What you should definitely not do is a so-called ‘Inventive Construction’ abroad to disguise your wealth; this is outright tax evasion and may be punishable by law. The tax authorities are very alert to this and have a special program ‘Hidden assets’. So do not be tempted by malicious advisers who want to persuade you to such illegal construction.

Do you own box 3 assets above € 100,000? We are happy to look at tax options with you to prevent you from paying negative interest on a savings account.

Have you not declared assets to the tax authorities recently or in the past? Have you teamed up with an advisor who has set up an inventive construction for you (as described above)? Do you want to make a clean sweep? We are happy to guide you based on our many years of experience.


– ?  –


– ? –


– ? –

Who are Suurmond Tax Consultants

Since 1986 accounting and corporate tax advice in relation to establishing a company or branch in The Netherlands is one of our many expertises we provide to our business clients.

In addition, we can also assist in a variety of other cross-border situations. We will ensure you are compliant as well as pay no more tax than needed. Examples include advising clients as to working abroad, taxation of pension and property tax, and amnesty ruling. We file all types of tax returns and specialise for example in the 30% ruling and 183-day rule consequences. The value we can add by offering our fiscal advice, is a key focus point to us. Also, what should not be overlooked, is the fact that a correct tax return will prevent future issues and penalties. This is essential when setting up business in a new country. 

suurmond belastingadviseurs internationaal belastingadvies inkeerregeling belastingaangifte emigreren


J.C. Suurmond & zn. Belastingadviseurs
Zwarte Zee 100
3144 DE Maassluis
T: +31 (0)10-3033701


General information

CoC register: 27224918
VAT: NL 8016.36.668.B.01
Tax consultant number: 330826


 