Tax return Netherlands: gain maximum tax benefit

Tax return Netherlands: gain maximum tax benefit

Of course, you don’t want to miss out on any tax benefits in the Netherlands that you are entitled to. In that case, you need to file a tax return and make sure this is done correctly. You can file a tax return for 2021 (from March 2022), 2020, and previous years, till five years back. Take a step in the right direction and contact us to file your tax return. No complicated online forms to be filled in, but personal and proactive service. Our tax consultants are passionate about seeking ways to optimize your tax return in the Netherlands.

How do you know if you need to file a tax return?

Even if you have not received an invitation to submit a tax return in the Netherlands, it is important to have your tax situation checked by a specialized expat tax advisor. You can contact us to check if it would be worthwhile for you to file a tax return. We will ask you the right questions to get the full picture of your tax situation. This way we can check all your tax-saving possibilities and you won’t miss any tax refund opportunities while filing your Dutch tax return. If you have your tax return automatically done by your employer in the Netherlands or a firm hired by them you can also come to us for a second opinion.

When is the deadline?

We will be pleased to look after the preparation of your tax return. The deadline is May 1st, but we will request an extension till May 1st next year for submitting your tax return. since we receive many tax return requests during this period. We will process the tax returns in the order in which they are received as much as possible. Do you have a specific reason why the tax return must be filed quicker? We will take this into account when scheduling the tax return. Do you expect to have to pay a large amount of tax over 2021? We can then request a provisional assessment before 1 April 2022, so that the due interest can be limited.
If you include information about possible deductible expenses and other relevant
changes in your situation we can optimize your tax return as much as possible.

Why use a tax advisor?

Our advisors understand that you do not wish to pay more tax than necessary and aim for a maximum tax benefit in your situation. Equally important, we also want to make sure that you are fully compliant. Some tax obligations are easily overlooked since you may not be aware of your responsibilities and the impact of certain actions on your taxes. While paying less tax may seem nice short term, unpaid tax can lead to a high tax bill with fines – up to 300% –  and interest in the future. It is therefore important that you inform us as well as possible about your situation, questions, and challenges; you remain responsible for a correct declaration. With our long-term focus, we can advise you proactively as your situation changes. Filing your own tax return or even worse making use of a budget tax return service may seem profitable at first, but there is a good chance that you pay the bill for this later.

Tax return in the Netherlands: which deductions

J.C. Suurmond & zn. Tax consultants are experts in expat tax matters and will make sure the optimum tax status is applied for. We will check whether all tax deductions, credits and allowances, applicable to your situation, are made use of. Regular Dutch tax return deductions are for example:

  • mortgage interest deduction
  • educational costs (also of your children or partner),
  • charitable giving
  • alimony
  • non-compensated health costs

In a proactive way you will be advised of your personal tax saving possibilities, which will be processed in the income tax return. As we provide a complete tax return service, we will also check the tax assessments that follow and appeal if needed to make sure your tax affairs are settled correctly.

Which tax form should you file?

The regular tax form is a P-form. In immigration or emigration situations however, an  extensive M-form has to be submitted. This is a more extensive Dutch tax return form and has to be submitted on paper. In a situation where you only lived in the Netherlands very short or merely worked in the Netherlands, a C-form for non-domestic taxation may apply. The M-form and C-form often give opportunity for refunds. With help of our direct line to the inspectors at the tax inspectorate for expats in Heerlen, we can check what Dutch tax return needs to be submitted in your situation.
We also take care of other tax forms, for example the request for a provisional refund for mortgage relief, which results in a monthly refund instead of a lump sum after the end of the year.

Examples of tax return situations

After completing your last tax assessment yourself it appeared that you would receive a sizeable rebate, but you have recently received a letter stating you owed the tax office €5500. You are quite puzzled and want to have an expert look at it properly.

It is possible that the final assessment turns out different, in this case disadvantageous for you. If you have filed the tax return yourself you may have missed some tax deduction possibilities. You can send us a copy of the tax return that you filed as well as your December pay slip and finally the correspondence that you have now received from the tax office. We will check what happened and what we can do for you.

In 2021 you worked 6 months in a Rotterdam office and need to do the taxes for this time. You did not live in the Netherlands prior to this job.

If you were a single taxpayer the refund entitlement for 2021 may be just over € 4000. We will be glad to start the process to reclaim this amount. We will look after the communication with the tax office until the refund is in your bank account.


– ?  –


– ? –


– ? –

Who are Suurmond Tax Consultants

Since 1986 accounting and corporate tax advice in relation to establishing a company or branch in The Netherlands is one of our many expertises we provide to our business clients.

In addition, we can also assist in a variety of other cross-border situations. We will ensure you are compliant as well as pay no more tax than needed. Examples include advising clients as to working abroad, taxation of pension and property tax, and amnesty ruling. We file all types of tax returns and specialise for example in the 30% ruling and 183-day rule consequences. The value we can add by offering our fiscal advice, is a key focus point to us. Also, what should not be overlooked, is the fact that a correct tax return will prevent future issues and penalties. This is essential when setting up business in a new country. 

suurmond belastingadviseurs internationaal belastingadvies inkeerregeling belastingaangifte emigreren


J.C. Suurmond & zn. Belastingadviseurs
Zwarte Zee 100
3144 DE Maassluis
T: +31 (0)10-3033701


General information

CoC register: 27224918
VAT: NL 8016.36.668.B.01
Tax consultant number: 330826


 