If you have a Dutch pension fund for example, you live in the Netherlands, and now you wish to move abroad again, it is often hardly ever possible to transfer your pension. Perhaps in your case it’s the other way round and you live in the Netherlands, and receive a pension from abroad. Or have you paid tax on your pension and are you wondering if you shouldn’t have? Usually the relevant tax treaty defies what country can tax a pension in an international situation. 


When is it recommendable to hire an international tax advisor? 

  • If you are living in The Netherlands and receive a pension from abroad; 
  • If you have moved to The Netherlands and are wondering how the Dutch Tax authorities will treat your foreign pension;
  • If you have received a ‘conserverende aanslag’ from the Dutch Tax Office;
  • If you are receiving a private pension, social security or a government pension from abroad;
  • If you are living abroad and you receive pension from The Netherlands; 
  • If you want to know how to declare your pension in the Dutch tax return; 
  • You have been living and working abroad; now in The Netherlands you are to receive your pension in a lump sum and would like to know the tax implications;
  • If you hire abroad and receive a Dutch pension;
  • If you receive pension from an international organisation such as the UN.

Your situation

In the situations mentioned above it is wise to let an international tax advisor have a look at your situation. We can advise you on the possibilities according to the Dutch and treaty tax rules and look after your pension. For advice regarding the national tax system of another country, a local advisor will have to be employed, who knows all the ins and outs of this. We have access to a vast, international network of advisors.

Starting business in the netherlands

Corporate Tax return

Vat netherlands

internationaal belastingadvies kantoor suurmond belastingadviseur aangifte hulp

Pension netherlands

Suurmond Tax-Consultants has been advising expats and individuals for more than 35 years. After contacting us it will become clear whether we are the right party to help you. 

In a contactform or an e-mail you can explain your situation and ask us any questions you may have. Your situations will be looked at by one of our advisors. On the basis of this, the tax advisor will come back to you for further details. Our hourly rate ranges from €175 to €285 excl. 21% VAT.

If you agree, then the advisor will look at the different aspects which apply to your situation and which elements are important to work on. Then a proposal is made with all the elements included on which you need advice and guidance. 

After this, we will update you on the number of hours which we expect will be required. It is not always easy to make an accurate estimate as we are dependent on information and details from your side as well. In addition, how your case will proceed depends on the response of the tax inspector as well to  our argument. If required, a consultation can be set up online or at our office. 

The importance of hiring an international tax advisor 

If you are receiving pension from abroad in the Netherlands or vice versa, you will want to know for certain that what you are doing is done correctly, as you must be compliant. The Tax Office can impose high penalties if your affairs aren’t in order and presented correctly. 

At our office you can be certain that you will be supported by experienced advisors and  who will provide you with expert tax advice. Your tax returns can be looked after and depending on the type of your pension we will look into any tax exemptions and advantages that can be used.

Or if your pension is being paid out in lump sum we can advise also. We can help reclaim wrongly paid tax on your pension or benefit.  In the most diverse circumstances we are committed to providing complete tax advice. 

Check out this page and find out if your pension from the Netherlands will affect your tax return:



– ? –



– ? –



– ? –

Who are Suurmond Tax Consultants

Since 1986 accounting and corporate tax advice in relation to establishing a company or branch in The Netherlands is one of our many expertises we provide to our business clients.

In addition, we can also assist in a variety of other cross-border situations. We will ensure you are compliant as well as pay no more tax than needed. Examples include advising clients as to working abroad, taxation of pension and property tax, and amnesty ruling. We file all types of tax returns and specialise for example in the 30% ruling and 183-day rule consequences. The value we can add by offering our fiscal advice, is a key focus point to us. Also, what should not be overlooked, is the fact that a correct tax return will prevent future issues and penalties. This is essential when setting up business in a new country. 

suurmond belastingadviseurs internationaal belastingadvies inkeerregeling belastingaangifte emigreren


J.C. Suurmond & zn. Belastingadviseurs
Zwarte Zee 100
3144 DE Maassluis
T: +31 (0)10-3033701


General information

CoC register: 27224918
VAT: NL 8016.36.668.B.01
Tax consultant number: 330826


 